Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Last Samurai

This film has to be one of my all time favs!

Katsumoto is a Samurai warrior in this film and there are a few quotes which really stuck in my head...

"If the Emperor wishes my death, he has but to ask." Spoken with total conviction and love for his Emperor. No questions asked at all. Reminds me of the same conviction we as Sikhs need to give our Gurujee and the Panj Pyare to become their Gursikhs.

To offer our head, firstly the ego has to be overcome. Each time we are bowing down to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee, we are dropping our own mindset (Mammat) there and accepting the Guru's wisdom (Gurmat). We are saying, "Take my head Gurujee and guide me through this life because I, myself really don't know how to use my own head correctly."

Another quote by Katsumoto; "Man does what he can until his destiny is revealed." That's right - we do all we can and serve the Guru. We don't worry about what will happen or what is meant to be as all will be revealed by the true Guru himself.

And my last quote from the film which I would like to share is from Katsumoto again. He spends all his life looking for the most beautiful and perfect flower in the world. It was only in his last dying moments when he realised that actually, every single flower was perfect and beautiful in its own light.

One to watch for sure!

No comments: